ASOIAF/GOT characters meme: 2/?
↳ Elia Martell & Rhaegar Targaryen
Oberyn: “The last time I was in the capital was many years ago. Another wedding. My sister Elia and Rhaegar Targaryen, the Last Dragon. My sister loved him. She bore his children. Swaddled them, rocked them, fed them at her own breast. Elia wouldn’t let the wet nurse touch them. And beautiful, noble Rhaegar Targaryen left her for another woman. That started a war and the war ended right here when your father’s army took the city”.
Elia Martell was the fourth child and first daughter of the ruling Princess of Dorne. During her youth she was very close to her younger brother, Oberyn Martell.
When Elia became old enough to marry, her mother arranged a number of suitors to come to Dorne.
Elia’s mother was able to arrange her marriage to the crown prince, Rhaegar Targaryen. Rhaegar and Elia had two children, Rhaenys and Aegon. Their marriage — though not romantic —seemed happy, although Elia’s health, which had always been problematic, remained fragile.
At the Tourney at Harrenhal Elia’s husband, Rhaegar, met Lyanna Stark and apparently became infatuated with her. He won the tournament and crowned her Queen of Love and Beauty, passing over his wife.
A year later Rhaegar either abducted or ran off with Lyanna, and this event sparked Robert’s Rebellion.
no seriously let’s lay this all out
- Sansa starts the series at eleven years old and is currently thirteen
- She is currently the successor to Winterfell, the Lady of Casterly Rock, in line for Riverrun and near to becoming the ruler of the Eyrie
- She managed to trick her abusive fiancé, who was the king into not killing someone
- She survived over a year in kings landing whilst three of her family members died and three others had to run away believed dead
- She stayed strong and polite around those who killed her family, whilst slipping in some subtle insults
- She has managed to get some of the best fighters in Westeros on her side including Jaime Lannister, Brienne of Tarth and Sandor Clegane
- All whilst remaining good and kind and compassionate
But no do keep telling us how naive and bad at the game she is
The Lannisters! God, this took forever. Designing the graphics on the bottom were a nightmare. Seems like I’ve shot myself in the foot by making this a thing. OH WELL.
Semi-personal interpretation… I couldn’t NOT put a little of Peter Dinklage in there.
Another one to go along with dear old Ned and House Stark.
Martin has admitted he was inspired by the Wars of the Roses from 1455 to 1485, although fans have gone even further to draw direct parallels between characters and events in his books and real historical people and events. But Martin has insisted “there’s really no one-for-one character-for-character correspondence. I like to use history to flavor my fantasy, to add texture and verisimilitude, but simply rewriting history with the names changed has no appeal for me. I prefer to re-imagine it all, and take it in new and unexpected directions.” [x]
(much thanks to Tam for all her help with this!)